BASEBALL PLAYERS START WITH NO COACH APPOINTED

TODD MADE CAPTAIN IN SUMMER--SEVEN LETTERMEN RETURN

With Lee Todd '26, appearing for the first time in the captaincy which he won in last summer's election, fall baseball will get under way definitely at a meeting in the Locker Building at 3 o'clock this afternoon. Seven of last year's letter men have returned this fall, and although football will prevent several veterans from reporting, a large squad of last year's Freshmen and scrubs is expected to turn out.

New Coach to be Selected Soon

With Coach Mahan's resignation as chief mentor of Crimson baseball still news to many followers of the University nine, the coaching situation for next year can only be guessed at. The personnel of the Baseball Advisory Committee will be announced to-night, and the appointment of Coach Mahan's successor is expected to follow in short order.

While the Committee is deliberating, daily practice will go on, under the supervision of Coach Mitchell, who had charge of the hurlers last spring, and of Claude Davidson, coach of the Freshman nine. Practice will be held every day, and after the preliminary session of rudimentary work, games will be played between two squads to be chosen from the candidates. This will continue as long as the weather remains favorable.

Few Hurlers Return

Lee Todd '26, R. W. Puffer '26 William Ullman '27, W. P. Ellison '27, Isadore Zarakov '27, J. E. Tobin '27, and H. L. de Rham '27, are the veterans around whom this year's team will have to be built. The loss of ten letter men by graduation strikes hardest the pitching department. Without Philip Spaulding, J. E. Toulmin and E. C. F. Herrmann, Jr., the mainstays of last year's mound squad, Coach Mitchell will be forced to uncover new material. R. W. Puffer '26, with J. N. Barbee '28, and D. B. Linscott '28, of the 1928 nine, are the best of the hurled left from last year.