FALL BASEBALL SEASON STARTS WITH 26 MEN

Captain Todd Leads Four Veterans in Squad--More Men Expected to Come Out Later

A short session of batting practice followed by a light workout in the field, greeted the 26, baseball candidates led by Captain C. L. Todd Jr. '26 and three other veterans who reported to Coach Mitchell at Soldiers' Field yesterday afternoon for the first fall practice.

Preliminary work for the purpose of rounding throwing arms into shape, and instruction in the fundamentals will continue for a day or two, followed by daily games between two picked squads. Coach Mitchell, who tutored last year's hurling staff, and is temporarily in charge pending the permanent appointment of Coach Mahan's successor, assisted by Claude Davidson, coach of the Freshman team, hopes through the fall practice to be better able to instruct and observe the candidates without outside games.

The veterans who reported in uniforms were Captain C. L. Todd Jr. '26, William Ullman '27, W. P. Ellison '27, and R. H. Booth '27. Along with those members of last year's squad were several veterans of last year's Freshman nine and of the scrubs. The present squad is expected to be augmented within the next few days by the return of several more letter-men. Among the experienced men who will not be able to report for fall practice because of football activities are J. J. Maher '26, C. D. Coady '26, M. A. Cheek '26, Henry Chauncey '28, R. W. Puffer '26, and F. R. Duchin '28.