FALL CREW SEASON WILL BEGIN TODAY

Coaches to Be at Weld and Newell This Afternoon--Meeting of All Oarsmen Scheduled for Tomorrow

"I don't care whether a man knows which end of his oar to put into the water," declared Coach Stevens yesterday in a vigorous demand for men to come out for the fall crew squad. "The more inexperienced a man is, the better he is suited to our purposes. If inexperienced men come out now, they can begin rowing under the personal supervision of the coaches and get the principles of rowing correct from the start."

While the rowing season will officially begin tomorrow night with a meeting in the Smith Halls Common Rom, an opportunity will be given today for a practical start at the boathouses. From 2 until 4 o'clock this afternoon all coaches will be on hand to meet any men interested in rowing. Both experienced and inexperienced men are expected to attend. Freshman will report at the Weld boathouse and upperclassmen at Newell.

Formal Meeting Tomorrow

The meeting which will launch the season is to be held at 5 o'clock tomorrow afternoon in the Smith Halls Common Room. All men interested in rowing are requested to attend, whether Freshmen or upperclassmen, experienced, or not.

At this meeting, Head Coach Stevens will make the principal speech. Coach Haines, the 1929 coach, will make many important announcements for the benefit of Freshmen. Robert Winthrop '26, captain of the University crew and Manager W. C. Ladd '26 will also address the meeting.

Special Call for Coxswains

A special call has been issued for coxswains who can gain a considerable advantage by acquiring experience during fall rowing. Men of 115 pounds' weight or less or eligible.

Organized rowing will begin on Monday. The crews will be made up and the lists will be posted in the windows of Leavitt and Pierce's on Friday. Rowing will be continued every day except Saturday as long as conditions on the river permit.

Besides the three University crews which will be picked by Coach Stevens, there will be class crews and 150-pound crews rowing this fall. The class crews are made up of men not on the University squad whose weight exceeds 160 pounds, while the 150-pound crews consist of men weighing less than 155 pounds. Men whose weight falls between the 155 and 160 pound marks have the privilege of choosing to which squad they will belong.

Optimism Reigns

The head coach will be E. A. Stevens, who is now entering his third year in this capacity. The success of Coach Stevens' regime has advanced greatly in the last year over his first year as rowing mentor, and there is ample reason to look forward to a completely successful season for 1926.

F. W. Newell will have charge of the 150-pound squad once more, having coached the 150-pound crew to victories over Yale and Princeton in 1924. Besides being a close personal friend of Mr. Stevens, Coach Newell is thoroughly conversant with the stroke employed in the Harvard system. The class crews will be under Coach E. J. Brown, who has built up successful class crews for many seasons.

The head Freshman coach will be H. H. Haines. His assistants will be A. L. Hobson 3b., a member of the 1924 University crew, and C. S. Heard Jr. 1 G.R. coxswain of last year's University crew.