CRIMSON RIDES TO EASY VICTORY OVER LANCERS

SHOW LAST YEAR'S FORM AFTER SLOW START

Captain R. A. Pinkerton '27, of the championship University polo three, scored five goals in leading the Crimson riders to a 10 to 1 1-2 victory over the National Lancers in the first meeting of the season's indoor competition at the Commonwealth Armory last Saturday night. The University squad of veterans overwhelmed the Lancers, after a slow start, with frequent flashes of championship form.

Contrary to expectations the University ponies stood the strain of fast competition after a two months' rest, and as a result two additional three minute periods were added to the four originally scheduled. The Lancers started fast and scored the first goal after two minutes of the opening period. Following this the Crimson mallet men opened up a bombardment of drives at the Lancer's goal which quickly put them in the lead. Holden White '28 and F. D. Stranahan '26 followed Captain Pinkerton in the scoring with three and two counters respectively.

Flash After Slow Start

With but one short practice since the close of the outdoor season last fall, the University team played raggedly at first, but settled down after the first period and worked smoothily in combination. Kreidel, Lancer back, and Holbrook, number two for the losers, scored goals, but a foul called on Brigham in the third period brought a penalty of one half point.

The play of Pinkerton, the Harvard leader, at his position of back, was the outstanding feature of the game. The Crimson captain figured in nearly every play and counted on several hard drives from difficult angles. Stranahan and White, numbers one and two, rounded rapidly into their last year's championship form after the initial nervousness of both men and mounts.

In the second match of the evening the Cavalry officers ran up a large score over the Artillery team, defeating them 17 1-2 to 1 1-2.

The Crimson squad will practice in the Commonwealth Armory for the next match with the Norwich University cadets on January 16 at Northfield. Ten ponies have been quartered at the Armory through the efforts of Captain S. F. Clark.

The summary:

Score, Harvard 10, Lancers 1 1-2, Goals, Pinkerton 5, White 3, Stranahan 2, Kreidel, Holbrook, Foul, Brigham, Time, six periods of three minutes each, Referee, Captain Williams of Spence, Scorer, William Lynch. HARVARD  LANCERS Stranahan, No. 1  No. 1, Emerson White, No. 2  No. 2, Holbrook (Brigham, Fry) Pinkerton, back  back, Kreidel