FRESHMAN SEXTET OPENS SEASON AT 2.30 TODAY

HARVARD 1929 B. AND N.

The Freshman hockey team will attempt to continue the undefeated records established by the 1927 and 1928 teams, when it opens the season's schedule against the Browne and Nichols ice squad at 2.30 o'clock this afternoon in the Boston Arena.

The first year men have been handicapped by the lateness and poor condition of the ice on the Charlesbank rink, but since the Christmas recess have been able to arrange several additional practices at the Arena. The Browne and Nichols team with three lettermen back this year has contended with similar unfavorable conditions. The school boys have been developing rapidly during the last two weeks and they may reach the form displayed last season when they played a 1 to 1 tie with the University second team.

Captain Cross of Browne and Nichols has been shifted from his old post at left wing to the pivot position. The speedy leader of the preparatory school team, played a consistent and agressive game against the second University squad last winter, and is reported to be the most dangerous scorer whom the 1929 opponents will have to cope with. Neal, the brilliant goal tender for the Cambridge school, was lost through graduation. Faude has filled his shoes in front of the cage this season.

The Crimson Freshmen have a fast and clever forward combination in Crosby and Tudor, wings, and Putnam, center. The last named played quarterback on the 1929 football squad. Clark at one defense berth is another football player who started most of the games last fall at tackle. The second defense position will be filled by Standee at the opening face-off today.

Coach Dempsey has three good net guardians in Newell, Jackson, and Traynor. Newell has been playing a consistent game in front of the cage and will probably be given the first call this afternoon. The second forward line which will undoubtedly see service during the contest is composed of Cariton and Hutchinson, wings, and Cunning, ham, center. The latter was first string fullback on the gridiron squad last fall.