PROFESSOR GRAUSTEIN GETS BELGIAN AWARD

University Mathematician Receives Royal Annual Prize -- Is Second American Thus Honored

The Mathematical Prize awarded each year by the Royal Academy of Belgium has been received this year by Assistant Professor W. C. Graustein '10, of the Department of Mathematics of the University. This is the second time in the 100 years of its history that the Belgian institution has conferred this honor upon an American scholar. In 1909 Professor E. J. Wilcaynski of the University of Chicago won the same prize.

Professor Graustein's memoir which he submitted to the Academy judges before August 1 of last year was on the subject of the geometry of surfaces. Each year the subjects are set six months or more before the date on which they are required to be submitted. The prize is contested for more generally by European mathematicians and it is a rare occurrence for an American to win any kind of recognition.

After his graduation from the University in 1910. Professor Graustein was a travelling fellow in Germany and received his doctor's degree at Brown in 1913. The same year he was appointed as an instructor in the mathematics department of the University.