A LITERARY DOG FIGHT

The quarrel between Poultney Bigelow, American author, and H. G. Wells, paradoxical British internationalist, waxes interesting. In Mr. Bigelow's recent book of reminiscences, he criticised the manners of Mr. Wells in no half-hearted way. Whereupon the British author administered through the press of his country the reproof valiant. Attached to his declaration was the thundering footnote, "American papers please copy.

Since each man has commented venomously on the manner and culture of the other, the fight will not be friendly. The literary world can settle back with a good cigar to enjoy a mental boxing bout between two men not ill matched. The Atlantic ocean is no bar to the acidity of the printed word.

The countercheck quarrelsome is now due from Mr. Bigelow a task fitted to his abilities. As a globe trotter and political writer, he has had experience in both hotels and Russian politics. To reenforce his intellectual attainments. Mr. Bigelow has a burly reputation in the field of sport.

Although the superior powers of Mr. Wells will probably triumph in the end Mr. Bigelow's forcible style can make some telling points. In any event, the quarrel has promise of the acrimonious personalities which always please the bystander. Although not masterpieces of literature the rival invectives have the morbid appeal of a scandal sheet. The dog-fighting portion of the intelligentsia hopes that the quarrel will be long and litter.