SCREENING HARVARD

One of the tributes, if so they be, accorded fame and importance, is to become the subject of a moving picture. To this Harvard is no exception. For the Metro-Goldwyn film corporation tendering for references "The Big Parade" and the endorsement of Dwight F. Davis, has been snapping scenes and students in and about the Yard to be broadcasted to the great American public under the title, "Brown at Harvard."

As "Brown' was hissed off the legitimate stage a score of years ago by Harvard students, and as a good part of the film is to be taken in California, there will undoubtedly be a chorus from dissenting conservatives. In fact, many Harvard men will react instantly in opposition to this innovation,--particularly if they do not get into the picture themselves.

But a larger proportion of them attend and enjoy the moving pictures. They admit the possibility and applaud the actuality of a true interpretation of life therein, whether the subject be Babylon or West Point, whether it is filmed in California or Garden City. Hence a sense of reciprocity would admit that the world should see Harvard.

Indeed the only criterion of "Brown at Harvard" that can be rightly applied is whether or not the play is a true interpretation of Harvard. By that it stands or falls, both at Harvard and in the country at large; for Harvard men possess a proved ability to make themselves heard. The Metro-Goldwyn Company is surely undertaking a very delicate task, is playing with fire, in truth. But if the production is a success as a true interpretation of life at Harvard, no one will be readier to extend felicitations than Harvard men.