CLARK APPOINTED TO SUCCEED CAMPBELL

Comes From English Department and Football Field at Trinity--Won Many Honors at Harvard

The first step in rebuilding the football coaching staff for next year was announced yesterday in the appointment of H. W. Clark '23, one of the greatest Crimson centers since the war, as Assistant Graduate Treasurer of the H. A. A. to take the place left vacant by the recent resignation of T. J. Campbell '12, Clark, who during the past year was instructor in English and Head Coach of the eleven at Trinity College, will take over the duties of Freshman or assistant University football coach in connection with his work with the H. A. A.

To Continue Work for Doctor's Degree

During his undergraduate years, the newly appointed coach and official, established' a remarkable record both as a scholar and as an athlete. While doing this Clark also found time to earn his way through his four years of college by winning scholarships and acting as Cambridge correspondent for a Boston newspaper. He was elected to membership in Phi Beta Kappa, was a member of his Class Day Committee and graduated with high honors in History. Next year he will continue his graduate work in this department which he is taking as a requirement for his doctor's degree.

As center on two victorious University elevens in 1921, and 1922, Clark ranked as one of the best pivot men in the country. These two teams, captained by R. K. Kane '22, and C. C. Buell '23, each defeated Yale by the same score of 10 to 3 and met with success in a majority of their other games. Coming from Exeter in 1919 he quickly lived up to his preparatory school reputation by winning a berth on his Freshman gridiron squad and putting the shot for the 1923 track team.

Studied One Year at Law School

In his Sophomore year Clark held the scholarship awarded by the Harvard Club of Seattle, which is the nearest organization of this kind to his home in Ketchikan, Alaska. He also played on the University second football team. Following his graduation he studied for another year in the Law School and assisted in coaching the Freshmen, football players at the same time. During the last year he has been head of the department of Freshman English at Trinity College.

Starting with five men who answered the initial call for gridiron aspirants at Trinity last fall, Coach Clark built up a squad which ranged between 15 and 20 players throughout the season. With this meager material the new mentor produced a well coached and capable eleven which won its most important games, those with Wesleyan and Norwich. The latter contest was won by a 10 to 9 score after the losers had downed the Tufts team by a 14 to 0 margin. The win over Norwich was well merited and the high spot in the Trinity season.