SANSKRIT SCHOLAR RETIRES TO WRITE

Has Edited Harvard Oriental Series of Which 29 Volumes Have Appeared Will Continue This Work

After nearly a half century as professor of Sanskrit at the University, Professor C. R. Lanman, editor of the Harvard Oriental Series, will resign and become Professor Emeritus, it was announced yesterday by the University office. Dr. Lanman came to the University in 1880 and in 1903 was appointed as the first occupant of the then newly established Wales Professorship of Sanskrit.

"I expect to devote most of my time after this year", stated Professor Lanman last night in commenting on his announced resignation, "in continuing the work on the Harvard Oriental Series of which there are several volumes either already on the press or nearing completion."

Born in Connecticut in 1850, Dr. Lanman is a lineal descendant of Francis Cook and John Alden of the Mayflower, and of "Brother Jonathan" governor of Conecticut in the early Colonial period. He graduated from Yale in 1871, and studied abroad in Berlin, Tubingen, and Leipzig during the succeeding three years. Later he received honorary degrees from Yale and the University of Aberdeen. From 1876 until he came to the University four years later, Professor Lanman was Turnbull lecturer on the poetry of India at Johns Hopkins University.

Professor Lanman, with the cooperation of various scholars of Eastern knowledge, has edited the Harvard Oriental Series, of which 29 volumes have already been printed. In 1889 he travelled in India and acquired on his trip many valuable books and nearly 500 manuscripts for the University. He has been twice president of the American Oriental Society, and has edited the journal of this organization for 15 years. Professor Lanman has also been president of the American Philogical Association, and of the Omar Khayyam Club of America.