GENTLEMEN, THE QUEEN

Not a card, not a trick, but a lady this queen, Roumanian, and very very "picturesque"! She will not set a style in gray hats, she will not play tennis for money, even in Boston--yet she will eat American food and meet whom ever Mayor Walker can collect to make a hen mot worthy the royal tradition.

Now only the pope remains cloistered. Kings, queens, saints, quacks, and fiction writers swell the waiting list at Ellis Island. Though their critics tell them "fair is foul; they continue empiricists. And in so doing they lose the charm of regal remoteness to take their common place in the Sunday supplements of the prints with the retired wives of senile plutocrats, the defenders of ward politics, and the leading in dies in musical comedies. Nor is this to be wondered at. There is no reason why such trivial handicaps should force this continued residence among American tourists. Arrived here; Queen Marie, like many others, will meet that little bruited creature, the quiet, sane American--and she may effect a union of aristocracy Roumanian with plutocracy American to the amusement, not to say betterment of both nations. Even queens should be useful--except at Atlantic city--and Marie of Roumanian is very beautiful.