$75,000 EARNED BY STUDENTS IN 1925-6

Over Twice as Many Students Applied Last Year, Secretary Daly Shows--To Hold Employment Conference

During the 1926-26 college year the men who obtained positions through the University Employment. Office earned over $75,000, according to a statement issued yesterday by W. W. Daly '14, Secretary of Student Employment. This is an increase of approximately 45 per cent over the $53,690.88 earned by students during the previous year. Mr. Daly is as yet unable to quote the amount which his office enabled students in the University to earn during the past summer, but $13,278 was the aggregate income of the first 30 men to report since the opening of college.

Mr. Daly's statement revealed an enormous increase in the service rendered by the employment office. Over twice as many men applied for work last year as in any former season, and more students were placed than in the term-time of any previous year.

The purpose of the Student Employment office is twofold: primarily to supply the man with such work as will enable him to meet his expenses, and incidentally to give him such work, whenever possible, as will enable him to make the most progress after graduation. It is frequently the case that work which is not so profitable from a monetary standpoint will give the undergraduate experience which will later save him much time getting oriented in the business which he enters after leaving college.

It is generally estimated that a student's expenses will vary between $900 and $1200, depending upon a man's tastes, habits, and desires. It is extremely difficult for anyone to get through his first year if he has not at least $400 or $500 with which to start. It is possible for a man to earn from $5 to $20 a week during the term time apart from whatever he may receive through scholarships and the Loan fund. Occasionally men with special training or talent can obtain positions which pay much more than the above amounts.

In order to create a unity among the New England college employment offices, and to develop the policies which have been found most successful, the first Associated College Employment Officers' Conference is convening tomorrow at the Walker Memorial Building of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Delegates from all the New England colleges have been invited, and, from the number that have accepted, a large gathering is anticipated. Mr. Daly will be chairman of the evening session, and the principal speaker at that time will be H. S. Dennison '99, President and Director of the Dennison Manufacturing Company Framingham.