BISHOP OF LONDON IS HARVARD GUEST

Best Known as 'London Bobbies Bishop' Throughout England--Wants to Try Student Mettle at Sports

The Right Reverend Arthur Foley Winnington-Ingram, Bishop of London, will be the guest of honor at a reception which the St. Paul's Society is giving tonight at 7.30 o'clock in the Phillips Brooks House, and will be introduced by Bishop William Lawrence '71. He will preach at the morning service in Appleton Chapel Sunday morning, and conduct the daily service there the following morning.

England's noted prelate, familiarly known as "the London Bobbies' Bishop", is making a tour of the leading colleges and universities of the United States. He arrived at Ames, Iowa, on October 1, from Winnipeg, where he terminated a two months' tour of Canada, and will leave the country early in November, when he sails from San Francisco, bound for the Far East.

Prior to his arrival here, Bishop Ingram has spoken at Ames Agricultural College, Chicago University, the Northwestern University at Evanston, and the University of Michigan, besides addressing Church Clubs, English Speaking Unions, and civic organizations. After his engagement here, he plans to visit Brown. Trinity College at Hartford, Columbia. New York University, the University of Pennsylvania, and Princeton. Tentative engagements include visits to Washington and as far south as the University of the South at Sewance, Teanessee.

Bishop Popular in England

In his 25 years as Bishop of London, Dr. Ingram has made for himself a unique place in the hearts of the English speaking world. His talks to Oxford and Cambridge students have had widespread influence, not alone because of their wisdom and substance, but by virtue of their informality, and the Bishop's gerius in meeting diversified viewpoints. He says quite frankly that the whole of his visits to the student bodies at the various colleges "will be quite spoilt if it consists in an endless succession of sermons and addresses."

The Bishop, who is 68 years old, continually stresses the fact that he is bringing his golf clubs and tennis racquets with him, and in his schedule he has allowed time for meeting students of the various institutions which he visits on the links and on the squash and tennis courts. In a recent lever from an English resort, the Lord Bishop expresses great delight at having devoted seven hours of the previous day to fishing, and having caught four salmon.

Member of Ancient Family

The Lord Bishop, whose predecessors have been lords in Fulham since the days of Saint Erkenwald, 1200 years ago, is an author of considerable note. His works include "The Potter and the Clay," "Rays of Dawn," "Victory and After," and "The Spirit of Peace." He was born in Worcestershire, England, January 28, 1858, and was made Bishop of London in 1901. In 1915 he was created Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order, and in 1918 made Prelate of the Order of the British Empire.

The late Walter Hines Page, war-time Ambassador to Great Britain rejoiced in telling of a unit of American nurses who, during a sight-seeing tour in London, went to St. Paul's Cathedral.

"They were met at the door," said Mr. Page, "by a most engaging and well-informed clergyman, who spent hours in showing them everything. They accidentally discovered as they were coming away that he was 'The Very Reverend and Honourable Lord Bishop of London,' who had come five miles for the pleasure of meeting them. When I next saw him, he said, 'Noble women, whom God sent in our extremity!'"