YALE-DARTMOUTH CLASH TOMORROW HOLDS CENTER OF FOOTBALL STAGE

Tigers Uncertain Quantity With Slagle Out of Lineup--Randall Scintillates for Brown Eleven

Two of the University's future opponents in football will meet in a crucial encounter tomorrow, when Yale and Dartmouth do battle at New Haven. Since Dartmouth meets the University a week later, the outcome of the fray will be watched with keen interest, as giving a possible line or the relative strength of the University and the Elis.

Both the Green and the Blue, after easy first games, struck snags in their last week's battles. The University of Georgia came to the Bowl with a fast scrappy, versatile aggregation, held Yale scoreless for two periods, and although coming out on the short end of a 19-0 count, gave the home team a scare, and showed up glaring Eli weaknesses, notably in the line. A long pass, Kline to Noble and some great end-running by Caldwell, gave Yale her three touchdowns.

Dartmouth found her aerial attack useless against the men from Virginia Polytechnic Institute. Resorting to straight line drives, the Green backs put over three touchdowns for a 21-0, victory, but all this scoring was done in two periods, and for the remainder of the game the southerners had the Granite Staters on their toes constantly to avert possible scoring threats.

Dooley Dangerous Passer.

Despite the fact that V. P. I. succeeded in warding off Dartmouth scores by the air route, Yale must be on her guard Saturday against the ubiquitous pass. So long as Dooley, the doughty Green quarterback is in the game with his strong arm and unerring aim, just so long must an opposing team expect a possible touchdown from the air.

Yale, from the number of passes she attempted against Georgia, must have something of an aerial offensive of her own. It is very likely that the spectators in the Bowl tomorrow will see a fine exhibition of open football.

The Blue line is reputed to be weak; its showing against Georgia was not encouraging, according to all reports. The Dartmouth line, still untested as yet by a strong opposing forward wall, is something of an unknown quantity. In the backfield the Green, with Dooley, McPhail and Lane left over from former championship elevens, would seem to have a slight edge, although Yale has Kline, Noble and Caldwell. The latter, in particular, shone behind the line last Saturday with several spectacular runs. He was personally responsible for two of his team's three touchdowns, one of which came at the end of an 80-yard march down the field, which the Eli back accomplished almost single-handed, a three yard buck by Foote being the only gain in this drive which Caldwell did not make.

Comparative Scores Interest.

Comparative scores, it is said, mean nothing. In a sense, this is true, but if Dartmouth should beat Yale by a good margin, and the University should trounce the Green next week, Crimson supporters will be, whether justifiably or not, inclined to rate the University team high over the Blue.

Princeton will entertain the Navy eleven in the Palmer Stadium, and the future Admirals from Annapolis always contrive to give the Tiger a busy afternoon. Princeton got quite a scare last week when the plucky team from Washington and Lee battled her to a 7 to 7 tie, and very nearly won the game in the last two plays on two long forward passes. The Generals outrushed the Orange and Black by 13 first downs to 10, and showed the coaches that their team needed considerable work to tune it up for the later encounters. Loose handling of the ball was a bad fault evident in the Princeton backfield.

Slagle Out Tomorrow.

Against the Navy tomorrow, Princeton will lack the services not only of Captain Davis, star tackle, but of Slagle, stellar triple threat man, who was hurt during a geology field-trip recently, and will be out until the Harvard game. The loss of these two is bound to be felt, and the Tiger's chances will be somewhat dimmed by their absence.

The Navy played a series of pre-season games with Purdue, Big Ten Conference representative, and had a little the better of the scores. The Annapolis backfield, with the veteran Shapley as its keystone, is said to be strong, and capable of making considerable trouble for any opposing line. Just how true this statement and others, conflicting and vague, as to the real worth of this year's Nassau eleven, will be answered tomorrow. Meanwhile, it would be folly to attempt more than the merest guess at the result.

Randall Shines for Bruins.

Down at Providence, the Brown University supporters are very sure that they have a real team. And this optimism is seemingly borne out by last Saturday's 32 to 0 win over Lehigh. In this encounter, the opposition was weaker than had been expected, but the Bears ramriot, tried every sort of offensive play with conspicuous success and might have rolled up a larger score had they cared to do so. Randall, flashy halfback, took the niche in the hearts of Brown rooters that was left vacant by the departed Jackson Keefer. His wonderful open field running accounted for a major part of his team's total yardage, and his all-around performance gave promise of great things in store for the stocky, red-haired back.

The co-operation shown between a heavy, hard-charging line, and a speedy backfield was the secret of the one-sided victory. Tomorrow this Brown team, probably well-filled in with substitutes, will meet Bates, a weak team from Maine There should be no difficulty for the Providence men to roll up a score.