INNUENDO

Traditions--and the comic strips--make the mother-in-law the source of most quarrels. Thus the position of England in regard to Canada and the United States. The latter two countries have, without a doubt, given a shining example of good neighborliness to the world. Border relations have been remarkably free from petty bickerings; Canadians and the citizens of this country have been tactfully respectful of each others wishes. Therefore when a guest comes into one country--as Lord Darling, noted English justice, came into Canada and makes allusions not quite flattering to the other, he raises no antipathy except toward himself.

Lord Darling is somewhat of a personage in England: he is a Law Lord, a member of the Imperial Committee of the Privy Council, and he has no small reputation for wit. But has wit should have the good taste to stop short of making speeches which the Canadian press describes as "barbed with shafts against the United States." If there are criticisms to be made, and citizens of both countries realize that there undoubtedly are, they would be better received if addressed directly to the accused person, and not to a friend. The complete isolation which the uninformed Englishman believes that North America suffers has welded its two most important component parts into close sympathy.