FOGG MUSEUM ACQUIRES VALUABLE ENGRAVINGS

Purchases Ancient and Modern Works of Art--15th Century Rarities Are Among Latest Prizes

The Fogg Museum has just acquired by purchase a number of engravings, both old and modern, of considerable artistic and theatrical value, it was announced yesterday. Two rare 15th Century engravings by Martin Schongauer and a fine early Renaissance print by Giovanni da Brescia are among the best of the new acquisitions.

Now Has Splendid Collection

With the addition of the "Head of an Oriental" and two scarce apostle series by Israhel van Meckenern, the Museum now owns a well-rounded collection of that famous craftsman's work, unrivalled except by the famous museum abroad.

Two wood-cuts by Albrecht Altdorfer, notable for their fine technique, have also been added to the collection of his works already possessed by the Print Department.

Among the modern artists the acquisition of a curious lithograph entitled "The Comedy of Death" by the eccentric Rudolphe Bresdin, a French draughtsman, is of interest. Bresdin, a bohemian of bohemians, has been pictured by Champlioury as living like and Indian savage in Montmartre, alternately starving and sharing new carrots with his pet rabbic, Petiot. His work reflects his own bizarre personality and is vividly imaginative, yet drawn with microscopic detail.