FRESHMEN OVERWHELM WORCESTER 22 TO 0

FORWARD PASS FROM FAKE IS PARTICULARLY EFFECTIVE

Welded into a mercilessly efficient machine, strong in each of its component parts, the Freshman football team overwhelmed the eleven from Worcester Academy by a score of 22 to 0 on Soldiers Field last Saturday.

Under the leadership of Captain William Wetmore, heading his team for the first time, the 1930 outfit gave a fine display of all-around power that speaks volumes for the achievement of Coach E. L. Casey '19, and augurs well for future encounters.

Receiving the ball shortly after the opening whistle, the Freshmen marched steadily down the gridiron, breaking through the schoolboy forward wall, and gaining heavily on an occasional aerial thrust. Hitch finally broke from the scrimmage line and dashed forty yards for a touchdown. The try for point failed, and the scoring was ended for the first half.

In the second half, Mason and Wetmore tallied, taking the pigskin across the line after long marches by the 1930 team, and Wetmore spun a drop-kick over the bar from the 20-yard line for another three points.

Pass Particularly Effective

The crimson-jerseyed warriors out-played their younger opponents in every department of the game. The 1930 line charged hard and effectively, and the backs, shifty and fast, eluded the schoolboy tackles to reap big gains. Particularly effective in gaining ground for the Freshmen was a forward pass, thrown from a take end run formation. The Crimson passing game was fairly smooth, about half of the attempted heaves being completed.

Worcester fumbled often, and this loose handling of the ball nullified any attack. The schoolboy backs were unable to pierce the stone-wall defense presented by the Freshman forward wall, and were forced to resort to kicking. Good punting was instrumental in holding down the score.

Captain Wetmore, with Iris slippery performances in a broken field, starred for the Freshmen. Storey, Ticknor and Waterman played well in the line.