ALL WET

When Dr. Seward. dry Republican candidate for the governorship in New York, withdrew from the race, the most populous state of the union was abandoned to most, politicians. His resignation throws a wine-colored light not only on the election but, more important, on the coming prohibition referendum, the result of which the Republican candidates are pledged to uphold.

The attitude of imperial New York, the most influential single state, may yet restore the wet cause to the social register of politics," whose one criterion is vote-getting. Indced, Dr. Seward's exodus from the preliminaries is a portent of the outcome. His adherents in New York are slipping over toward the wet side of the deek. The Prohibition party, as an institution, has already sunk, below the voting strength legally, necessary to maintain itself a political entity. Already, the Democratic party has hinted at an ardent wet, Governor Ritohic of Maryland, as its 1928 candidate for President. And on their side the Republican drys of New York show signs of fatigue.

Thus the two major parties appear to be contentedly perpetuating the aftable policy of agreement on every important point. For the two eastern contingents are almost allied on this latest issue. If the rapprochement continues, we may have complete accord holding forth the prospect of Volstcadian repeal.