SOCIAL SERVICE IS BOOMING ATP. B.H.

Kingman and Reiff to Speak at P.B.H.--Ford and Kelso Urge Efficacy of Settlement Work

The fact that Harvard men are in greater demand this year as social service workers than ever before was announced yesterday by M. A. Cheek '26, former President of the Phillips Brooks House and now Assistant Graduate Secretary, in a preliminary statement issued before the social service meeting tonight. The New duties assumed by the six assistant secretaries of the Social Service Committee last year have resulted in this increased demand, according to Cheek. These secretaries kept in close touch with the amount of work done. The effect of this closer organization has been to increase the efficiency of the whole department and enlarge the scope of their activities.

Demand Exceeds Supply

People benefited by the service work have been quick to appreciate that the Harvard committee has improved its effectiveness and are demanding all the men it can provide. Fortunately, the number of undergraduates volunteering for welfare work this year has totalled over 500, the largest turn-out ever recorded by the Phillips Brooks House. Even so, the demand will exceed the supply, inasmuch as the field of activities has been enlarged and approximately 50 Social Service centers in and around Boston will require Harvard helpers.

J. M. Kingman '15 Henry Reiff '25, both experienced in service work, will give talks tonight at Phillips Brooks House at a 7.30 o'clock meeting for all men interested in social service. They will explain the nature of the duties of the Harvard workers. W. J. Bingham '16, Director of Athletics, will not be able to speak as originally planned.

W. G. Saltonstall '28 is Chairman of the Social Service Committee this year, while C. G. T. Lundell '27 is Secretary. They have six assistant secretaries appointed from the Junior and Sophomore classes who will continue last year's policy of visiting the boy's clubs regularly and keeping account of the work accomplished.

Various Fields are Open

In commenting upon the value of Social Service work, Professor James Ford '05, said yesterday. "The community's need of active social service on the part of college students is manifold. Juvenile delinquency may be materially reduced by means of students leadership in boys' clubs, in social centers, in settlement houses, through the Boy Scouts, and through social service in public probation departments. For boys, good or bad, are hero-worshippers and the college man comes to the, with a prestige and potential influence for the good which few, if any, others can parallel."

"Harvard men will have an opportunity to get valuable experience through the service work in organizing boys' clubs, in coaching teams and in training and teaching immigrants. The value of this education work is really threefold; it benefits the individual taught, the student who teaches, and the city at large. The necessity for this work, according to R. W. Kelso '04, a leading social worker, is a challenge to educated youth.