1930 TO FOREGATHER AT SMOKER TONIGHT

Will Organize New System of Engaging Speakers--Magazines to Be Chosen by Popular Choice

Smith Halls Common Room will be the scene of the first Freshman Smoker and the first football meeting of the class of 1930 tonight at 7.30. E. L. Casey '19, Head Coach of the Freshman football team, and Edward Farrell, Track Coach, are slated to give talks. They will be introduced by J. W. D. Seymour '47, Secretary to the University for Information who will preside at the meeting.

The first football game for the Freshmen is scheduled against Andover for Saturday. Practically all members of the class of 1930 are expected to be present in the Common room to cheer their team and to become organized before the opening game.

Proctors Informally Introduced

It is planned to have all the proctors of the Freshman dormitories informally introduced to the class, and their duties in relation to the Freshmen explained. One of the proctors, who has not definitely been chosen as yet, wil also enunciate the new plan for obtaining men to lecture to the Freshmen.

Previous to this year, it has been the custom to have regularly scheduled Monday night lectures given in each of the Common rooms in turn. The speakers for these meetings have been scheduled long in advance and they have not always been men familiar to the fist year undergraduates. Consequently, the lectures were not generally attended, even it the start of the year. The remedy proposed for this lack of interest will be a kind of Australian ballot system by which lectures popular among the Freshmen will be obtained. The system will be thoroughly explained tonight.

Will Choose Periodicals

A similar innovation in regard to magazines for the Common rooms will also be discussed. This year, the magazines subscribed for will be the ones marked out as favorites by the results of a room-to room canvass conducted by the recently appointed dormitory committees.

The smoker will be supplied with quantities of free cigarettes and other refreshments. The musical part of the program will be supplied by the Freshman talent and will be featured by a piano recital and an xylophone solo by 1930 men.

Particular emphasis has been laid upon the fact that all Freshmen are welcome to this meeting whether living in the dormitories or not. The members of Smith Halls Dormitory Committee will will act as hosts for their classmates at Smoker.