ENTIRE CLASS SQUAD SEES ACTION

Scrubs, then Schoolboys, Engage 1928 and 1929--Seniors Also Face '29

The entire class football squad saw action in scrimmage yesterday. It was the first day of general scrimmaging, and the policy of the coaches seemed to be to get every man into the play.

The first Sophomore team went in for a ten minute scrimmage against Coach Jimmy Knox's second team players, and were followed by the first Junior eleven who faced the scrubs for a like period of time. The object of this drill was primarily to give defensive training to the class teams; the seconds being in possession of the ball the greater part of the time. The Sophomores, during their brief possession of the ball, were unable to make any great headway against the second team line. Later, the Juniors engaged in a stiff scrimmage which afforded an excellent defensive drill.

Sophomores Face Brown and Nichols

Earlier in the afternoon, the Sophomore eleven had engaged in a dummy and then regular scrimmage with the Browne and Nichols School team. The emphasis was put entirely upon the defensive development of the 1929 players. The schoolboys had the ball throughout the brief scrimmage, and succeeded in pushing over a touchdown after a series of gains through the line.

1929 Sends Team Against Seniors

The second Sophomore team scrimmaged against the Senior squad. This is the first time that the 1927 men have had a taste of real action. M. A. Cheek '26, and Karl Plaffman '24, class team coaches, were in the Sophomore line-up, and the former accounted for the only score of the play when a forward pass bounded into his hands from the chest of a 1927 end. Coach Plaffman modestly declined to drop-kick the goal.

The second Junior sequad worked out against Browne and Nichols in a dummy scrimmage of a most informal char- acter. The Juniors were on the defensive throughout, but not score was made.

The coaches announced that there had been no definite selections of teams as yet, and that the distinction between the first and second elevens of a class squad meant nothing. The present policy of giving the players plenty of work will be continued, and it is expected that teams will be definitely made up within a short time.

Coach Leadner McDonald will bring his Cambridge Latin School eleven to Soldiers Field on Friday to meet the Junior team in an informal scrimmage. There will probably be frequent substitutions, and although the score will be of distinctly secondary importance, a good workout is promised.

The Sophomore team that opposed the Seconds had Weiler and Fuller at the ends, Norris and Tower at tackles, Ingalls and Brookfield, guards, Dorman, centre, Morris, quarterback, Weymouth and Brine at the halfback positions and Whiting at fullback. The Junior eleven was composed of Lewis and Long, ends, Clapp and Herman, tackles, Foster and Cuushing, guards, Turner, centre, Heard, quarterback, Taff and Lane, half-backs, and Sack, fullback