Weeks Memorial Footbridge Will Be Fully Completed By 1927--Mile of Tunnel to Be Constructed for Heating

The John W. Weeks memorial footbridge, forming an additional connection between the Harvard Business School and Cambridge, will probably be completed by the last of December, according to William Powell, construction foreman.

The reinforced concrete footbridge will be 500 long and 25 feet wide, with three arches spanning the Charles river. It has an exceptionally graceful design and will be faced when completed with white Indiana limestone and bricks on either side. Andrew Lanzanella, state engineer, who is supervising the work on behalf of the Metropolitan District Commission stated that the total cost of the building operations will be $195,000.

A mile of tunnel will run across the river to the Business School from the power plans at the corner of Boylston street and the Parkway, under the deck of the bridge. This passageway will conduct steam heat to the Business buildings during the winter.

In statistics concerning the construction work reveal that 10,000 barrels of cement and 25,000 bricks will be necessary to complete the bridge. These materials are hoisted out on the river by a derrick 83 feet high. The depth of the river where the spans were built varies from 12 to 18 feet. For the last month and a half 175 men have been employed to hasten the work of construction.

The bridge when completed will be for pedestrians only. It will be a great convenience for men living across the river, since it will materially shorten the distance to and from classes in college buildings.