PRINCETON CUTS ATHLETIC RELATIONS WITH HARVARD

Think It "Inadvisable" to Play Off Scheduled Sport Events

Princeton, N. J., November 10-- Princeton today severed all athletic relations with Harvard University. This action was taken this afternoon at a meeting of the Princeton Athletic Board. President John Grier Hibben attended the meeting and declared that the step has his full approval.

In a letter from Professor C. W. Kennedy, Chairman of the Princeton Athletic Board, to W. J. Bingham, Director of Athletics at Harvard, the Princeton attitude is set forth clearly, and the reasons for this drastic step are fully outlined. The last paragraph of the letter declares: "I may add also that Princeton will never accept, so far as she is concerned, the implications of the provisions of the policy adopted by the Harvard Committee on Regulation of Athletic Sports, as set forth in the resolutions of October 14, which I received this morning.

Provisions Not Known

No information could be obtained regarding the nature of these provisions. Professor Kennedy refused to make any statement, and it is understood that no stenographic reports were made of the resolutions of the Committee on Regulation of Athletic Sports of October 14.

The complete text of Professor Kennedy's letter to Mr. Bingham follows:

"At a meeting of the Princeton Board of Athletic Control held this afternoon the Board voted unanimously to sever athletic relations with Harvard in all sports. We have been forced to the conviction that it is impossible at present to expect from athletic competition with Harvard that spirit of cordial good will between undergraduates of two universities which should characterize athletic sports. Unless athletic competition between college tends to introduce a feeling of generous chivalry and mutual respect, there can be no valid reason for its continuance Competition carried on in an atmosphere of suspicion and ill will of necessity falls short of the desirable objective of intercollegiate sports. Under these circumstances we prefer to discontinue competition with Harvard all together. Should you wish we will of course complete such engagements as may have been scheduled between us for the present academic year. We should regard these contests as inadvisable but we should be glad to discuss the matter with ver should you so desire.

I may also add that Princeton will never accept so face as she is conferral the implications of the proves has of the policy adopted by the Harvard Committee on Regulation of Athletic Sports as set forth in the resolutions of October 14, which I Received this morning.