THE CRIMSON COMMENDS

The CRIMSON commends Princeton for the stand taken by those in charge of Princeton athletic policies, as authentically stated in this morning's paper. For there is reflected in that stand a certain praiseworthy independence of spirit at all times commendable to them who truly respect the dignity of venerable and honorable institutions of American education

If that stand is the result of the nebulous policies of the Harvard Athletic Association in this instance apparently more than maladroit, then, not alone is the stand commendable, it is reasonable. If, however, it traces more directly to the unpleasant episodes of the last weekend, the CRIMSON, while admiring Princeton's maintenance of a decent and convincing self respect, feels that the decision to break off relations with Harvard is too abrupt. The CRIMSON believes that such unpleasant incidents as those mentioned can be made unique in the history of Princeton-Harvard intercourse by means such as those suggested in yesterday's editorial: formal negotiation by proper-representatives of the two in dergraduate bodies. Nothing cans more to hurt amateur athletics in get and football in particular than the fact that two ancient and great American universities cannot enjoy honorable and pleasant athletic relations. If Harvard, through her Athletic Association is at fault, the CRIMSON can only deplore the actions of that Association