THE CUT DIRECT

Those who have strolled along what is often called the Gold Coast, in deference to an orchestra of that name and the fact that Arthur's Inc. is a great success, may have noticed that the Ibis tree, so recently brought to America from the Netherplaces by Robert Lampoon, Esquire has, within the last few days, been sawed in twain by some George Washington who needs to be debunked. Nor is the CRIMSON happy to see this happen.

True as it is that the Lampoon stands too often in its own shade to need the help of such a sapling, there is a limit to vandalism and that, in the philodendronic sense, is the bark or outer periphery of an Ibis tree. The poor old Ibis has done enough to hurt her breed in the last few days without becoming dispossessed of her perch upon the Ibis bough. Unlike Horace who was quite selfish when his famous tree fell, the CRIMSON worries more about the tree than the fact that its fall hurt no one but the reputation of him, who in the dark of night, saw fit to saw the Ibis tree. Such gestures should remain the prerogative of the insane--perhaps they have.