FOR THE DEFENSE

When Dr. Armstrong, Dean of Northwestern University, asserted that the modern college man is more studies than those of former years because his general average, is 1.9 as compared to their 1.4, defenders of the younger generation took opportunity to give several rousing cheers. The New York World, however, bitterly points out that the present day youth is not expected to know as much as his father, that "there was a time when a college boy had to wrestle with Greek and Latin he had to report daily on the doings of pious Acneas, with special attention to the accusative as subject of the infinitive in indirect discourse." The boy of today, on the other hand, "For languages elects Spanish or French, for philosophy and economics a combination course known as 'social science', for mathematics some sort of applied geometry, for oratory the dramatic club. With such a snap who couldn't make 1.9?"

Anyone who has struggled with French subjunctives or Spanish idioms will challenge the veracity of the World's editorial writer who is wittier than he is wise and funnier than he is either. As for dodging philosophy with social science--such manoeuvres have yet to be listed on the Harvard schedule of courses. Philosophy, far from being dodged, is usually what might be called the aid to dodging, since Freshmen have found that there are more ways of removing the mathematical requirements than taking Math A. Applied geometry sounds fascinating one wonders where it is taught. But when the dramatic club, especially the Harvard Dramatic Club, is considered as an alternative to oratory words fail even the most staunch defender of the younger generation.