THE STUDENT VAGABOND

A year or two ago there died an old lady, the daughter of Leopold I, king of the Belgians. The world at large took no great notice of her death. For nearly 60 years she had lived in seclusion, her mind deranged through a great tragedy.

Her husband had been Maximilian, the brother of Francis Joseph of Austria. He was a rather young man when he had married her; a man with a taste for the arts and science, and a reputation as a Liberal. As early as 1859, he had been approached by Mexican exiles with a proposal to become the candidate for the Mexican throne.

At first Maximilian refused, but four years later under pressure from Napoleon III and after General Forey had captured the City of Mexico, he decided to accept the crown, contrary, however, to his brother's advice.

In June, 1864, Maximilian arrived at Mexico City. From the first he was unpopular, with the clerics because he was too liberal, and with the populace, because he was a foreigner. The European troops which supported him were detested by the natives. In the summer of 1886 Napoleon III decided to withdraw his forces. Maximilian was being deserted by the man who had brought him to his position and was using him as a pawn. His wife appealed to the emperor of the French to save her husband; he refused. She went, then, on an appeal to the Pope, but here also she was unsuccessful.

On May 15, 1867, he was betrayed into the hands of the Mexican generals, and, refusing to avail himself of various opportunities to escape, was shot a month later as a murderer and brigand.

Thus ended Maximilian, the Mexican empire, and Napoleon's Mexican adventure.

Professor Haring will speak on this "adventure" at 2 o'clock today in Sever 7 in his course History 59.

Other lectures of interest are:

9 O'clock

"State and Federal Citizenship", Professor Yeomans, Harvard 2, Government 19.

10 O'clock

"Spanish Imperial Organization", Professor Haring, Harvard 2, History 56.

11 O'clock

"The Sculptor Myron", Professor Chase, Fogg Museum, Fine Arts 1c.

8.15 O'clock

The Elschuco Trio, Paine Concert Hall, Music Building.