CRIMSON DEFENSE FAILS AS YALE CAPITALIZES BREAKS

Yale Leader Plays Major Part in Triumph--Arches Dropkick Over From 41-Yard Mark

Making and taking the breaks of a see-saw football battle in the Bowl, the Blue Bulldogs rose from the slough of four drab Saturdays of defeat, and rode to a 12 to 7 triumph over the Crimson on two deadly accurate field goals by Wadsworth and Bunnell.

After two passes that shot like lances through the gathering dusk, it was the good right foot of Wadsworth, substitute back, which offset the wonder pass from Chauncey to Saltonstall that sent Harvard momentarily into the lead and the Crimson stands into a riot of joy. Previously, it had been a mighty punt by Noble that put the Bulldog on the way to its first score, and in the closing minutes Captain Bunnell tore away the last shred of Crimson hopes with his great 40-yard field goal.

Table Suddenly Turned

Rushing the Elis off their feet from the opening whistle, Captain Coady's men had the Blue cohorts deep in their own territory in the middle of the first period. Noble fell back to his own 10-yard line and booted a soaring punt that bounded past Stafford and rolled to the Crimson 10-yard mark. This kick changed the complexion of the game in an instant. Harvard now had its back to the wall, and a moment later Captain Coady tried to kick from his 25-yard streak. The Crimson line buckled; Richards, Yale tackle, took the ascending pigskin on his chest, and the ball rolled across the goal line, where the alert Sturhahn pounced on it for the score. This sudden fall from the heights in a few plays stunned the Crimson stands, and intimated the part that the big toe was to play in the drama that followed.

The next break came early in the second half when Yale fumbled on its own 29-yard line, and Saltonstall fell on the pigskin and held it tight. Three yards were lost at the line on the next play, and then Chauncey fell back and shot the bullet-like pass to Saltonstall that carried the Harvard hopes. At full speed, stretching and straining, Saltonstall clutched the oval and dashed the ten yards to tie the count. Chauncey's drop-kick put Harvard ahead.

Wadsworth Makes Placement

Then came the two rapier thrusts that turned the tide for good. Holabird threw to Kline for 30 yards, and Kline passed to Scott for 22 more. Again the Elis had risen to dash Harvard from the pinnacle. But this time the defense stiffened, and Wadsworth came in to stand on the 30-yard chalk and whirl over the placement kick that spelled victory for the Blue. The big too had won.

In the deepening darkness Captain Bunnell caught a punt on Yale's 30-yard line and fore down the field. A Crimson tackler almost upset him, but he dodged, and dodged again, and reached the Harvard 29-yard line before Chauncey downed him. Losing ground on the next play, the Blue quarterback fell back to the 41-yard mark, and arched a beautiful drop-kick for the final score. This was superfluous, but the field goal sharpshooter all powerful in the days of Brickley and of plan man, had outdone the best efforts of arm and of leg.