MORE FUEL

The Board of Overseers yesterday added two items of news to the already too long list made public yesterday regarding the University and Princeton. In appointing a committee to confer with the Athletic Committee and with the Student Council and to report to the Board at its next meeting, it has acted wisely. An athletic policy which involves the University as such should not be left entirely in the hands of one special department of the University. The Athletic Committee's policy toward Princeton involves a good deal more than merely the athletic department. That the Board of Overseers realizes this is evidenced by its appointment of so distinguished a Harvard group to serve on the committee and its instruction to that committee to investigate the effects of the present situation on the University and the Alumni.

Secondly, the Board of Overseers has shown itself as not adverse to washing some more of John Harvard's dirty linen in public. It appears on the one hand that President Lowell considered that the athletic policy had been presented and tacitly approved by the Board; on the other that the Board considered the question in a casual and tentative manner. Considering the importance that policy has since assumed it seems particularly unlucky for the parties concerned that the misunderstanding should have occurred in this particular instance. The human equation of course, explains the incident. Misunderstandings may occur at any time. It is regretable when they coincide with important issues. In any case no benefit can be derived by broadcasting the lamentable facts to the public. The Board of Overseers by this procedure justifies its conduct to the Alumni and adds more fuel for the antagonistic public to censure. One hardly compensates the other.