EMPHASIZES NEED OF LEISURELY LUNCHEONS

J. G. Chandler, Oldest Restaurateur of Boston, Says Social Aspect of Meals Is Necessary

"The University should install an eating place of the Memorial Hall order where students could get three meals a day," declared J. G. Chandler in an interview with a CRIMSON reporter yesterday. Mr. Chandler, who is Vice-President of Durgin, Park & Co., famous restaurant on North Market Street, Boston, is the oldest restaurateur in the city, having started business 54 years ago.

"Every meal should have its social aspect," he continued. "There is no better place for men to talk matters over then at a dinner-table. With the present fashion of taking a hurried meal at a cafeteria, such intercourse and discussion is entirely eliminated from the menu, and young men in college are the losers thereby. Remembrances of table conversations should be among the pleasantest of college memories, and every college man should have an eating place where he will have the opportunity of leisurely luncheon talk with his friends.

Difficult to Provide Variety

"Memorial Hall provided such a place, and I understand that the reason that the cafeteria in the Hall was given up was because the students objected to the stereotyped diet, went elsewhere for their meals, and the proposition was no longer a paying one for the University. It is always difficult to provide a varied diet for a regular daily custom. The choice of meats, for example, is not as large as it once was; we have no game to put on the table, and the range of other meats is very small. The perennial problem of the housewife is to plan the next day's meal to be such that her family will not complain of the lack of variety. The same is true, on a larger scale, of the restaurant owner, and especially of the proprietor of a college eating place, where the trade is the same every day.

Manager is Responsible

"The entire responsibility is with the manager. An experienced manager, with ample facilities at his disposal, could run a college dining-room which would offer a varied diet, without a financial loss. It requires a great gift to arrange a menu to please the critical palates of college men, but it can be done, granting that the clientele will occasionally eat elsewhere for the sake of change. To appoint a dining-room so that it will be physically attractive, which is a very heavy factor in determining the eating preference of people, is another great task that will confront the man who undertakes to manage such an establishment, and one upon whose success depends largely the success of the enterprise."