"FILIPINOS PREFER AMERICA"--VILLAMIN

PHILIPPINES TOO VALUABLE TO REMAIN ISOLATED

"The choice for the Filipinos is not between American sovereignty and Philippine independence, but between American sovereignty and that of some other nation, probably Japan or Great Britain," said Vicente Villamin, in an interview with a CRIMSON reporter yesterday. "American imperialism is, after all, a mild imperialism, and having known America for 27 years, we who have suffered from America's tyranny of love prefer America unreservedly to any other nation on oartth."

Scores Sentimentalism

"Windy sentimentalism is the driving force behind most of the agitation for independence in the Philippine Islands," he declared, "and most of the people are ignorant of the true facts of the Philippine problem. It is pathetic fanaticism to think that world conscience as it exists and operates today would be sufficient to protect an independent Philippine nation from external aggression dictated by the biologic urge of self-preservation. National necessity and economic imperatives have proved the impotence of the diplomatists' declarations that their nations will respect political independence and territorial integrity. The sovereign independence of the defunct kingdom of Korea was guaranteed in the Anglo-Japanese Alliance of 1902, and yet in 1905 an amendment to this alliance gave Japan imperialistic rights in Korea, and shortly after, the political independence of Korea was a thing of the past. Such would be the case with the Philippine Islands. They are too strategically located in the West Pacific region and too laden with vast and varied undeveloped natural resources to be able to remain in majestic self-isolation.

"The political separation of the Philippines from America would deal a heavy blow to the economic welfare of the Filipinos, since it would mean the loss of the tariff protection which Philippine goods enjoy in American markets. This protection is the very life blood of Philippine industry, and its loss would mean the destruction of our economic structure and the dislocation and disintegration of our social and political institutions and the lowering of our standard of living.

"Refusal to recognize the facts and to act accordingly will only serve to keep the Philippine problem in a state of insolution, and it is the Filipinos who would be the heaviest losers from such a condition."