Pratt, Star Crimson Tackle, Will Lead Gridiron Forces Next Year

1927 Gridiron Leader Has Also Gained Prominence in Yale Meet as Weight Thrower

Charles Augustus Pratt '28 of New Bedford will lead the 1927 football team next fall.

The election of Pratt by this year's lettermen comes as no suprise to the college. For three years the rangy left tackle has played a prominent role in a Harvard forward line, for one year as a Freshman on the 1928 eleven that was nosed out by the Yale first-year outfit on Soldiers Field by the margin of one point. Last fall he played substitute tackle to Coady, this year's leader and to Lindner, but this year his all-round line play, and especially his down-the-field work and his threat to opposing punters, won him the starting assignment in all but the first two games this fall. Rarely was he disabled, and though no figures are available it is probable that he spent more time on the field than any other Crimson player during the past season.

Scored in Yale Meet Last Spring.

Besides starring on the football squads of three years, Pratt has also figured heavily in the summary of the track teams, both Freshman and University for the last two years. Against Yale last spring he gained three second places in his specialties, the shot-put, the javelin throw, and the discus event. He also qualified for the Intercollegiates on the following week-end, and though he failed to break into the scoring column in the face of the country's best weight men, he showed sufficient potentiality to make him a serious threat for intercollegiate honors this spring.

Before coming to Harvard, the 1927 football captain attended the Loomis Institute at Windsor, Connecticut, where his fame as a schoolboy athlete was unsurpassed in the state.