The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

In the Graduate Schools

Forensic Battle Marks Culmination of Three Year Competition

The Institute of Criminal Law of the Harvard Law School, an organization devoted primarily to research in the fields of Criminal Law, Procedure, Crime, Causation and Crime Treatment, is embarking on a new project, the first of its kind to be undertaken by any Law School. There is a pressing need nowadays for professionalization of the work of those who administer penal and correctional institutions, departments of probation, parole boards and other public and private agencies dealing with delinquency and criminality. Recognizing this fact the Law School Institute has developed an experimental project for a Curriculum for Correctional Administrators, designed to prepare men of character and special capacity for positions of leadership in correctional work and for research in the field of criminalistics.

The curriculum covers two years of intensive theoretical and practical work, and consists of pertinent courses at the Law School and in other departments of the University. The student body will be limited to candidates whose records are especially promising of success in the correctional field, either as administrators or research workers. The first class will consist of a small group of carefully-selected college graduates who will begin their studies and training in the fall.

An advisory committee for this purpose has been appointed by the University authorities. It consists of Dean Roscoe Pound of the Law School, Professor Francis B. Sayre, director of the Institute of Criminal Law, Professor Joseph Beale and Professor Sheldon Glueck, representing the Law School, and Professors C. Macfie Campbell, James Ford, Earnest A. Hooton and Dr. George B. Magrath, representing other pertinent departments of the University.