Superstition Is Rife Among Members of University, Tozzer Observes--The Samson Complex Is Typical Idiosyncrasy

Fetish worship, superstititions, and plain personal peculiarities flourish to a large extent among University students, it was ascertained by a CRIMSON reporter yesterday.

Professor A. M. Tozzer '00, Curator of the Peabody Museum, who has made an intensive study of current college superstitions, asserted that Harvard men have a few examination customs that are deservedly unique.

The Samson complex, or the belief that unshorn locks and bearded checks will aid an aspirant to examination honors is the most frequently observed oddity of local scholars. Associated with this habits is the custom of wearing the same the and sitting in the same beat during tests. Almost two out of five fall victims to this Idiosucracy.

The derivation of one old American custom, the avoidance of igniting three cigarettes with one match, is attributed by Professor Tozzer to two possible sources. According to one belief, the Roer sharpshooters are responsible for this eccentricity. In 1900, the British "Tommics" discovered that two cigarettes might be lighted on one fuse but that if time was taken for a third, latalities followed.

The other explanation comes from the Greek Orthodex ritual where three candles must be lighted with one paper. By people of opposite faith, it has been considered sacrelegiously ill-omened to kindle three lights with one.

Among the strangest survivals of save acres is the prevalent student practice of carrying lucky coins, lockets, and watch charms. A few men transport combs, knives, and keys whence usefulness has long departed, for the sake of their necromantic properties. Feminine vanity cases and powder compacts are also cherished, perhaps more nor their inspirational than for their thaumaturgie value.

Of the personal facilities the most remarkable is perhaps that of always donning in left shoes first. The custom among athletes of not wearing new equipment on game days is also observed by many students.