ATHLETICS A LA MODE

Seldom has the twentieth century seen so remarkable a growth in popularity of one particular sport as in the case of squash racquets. Ever since the war, this youngest child of battledoor and shuttlecock has been gaining adherents until now it is rated as one of the most popular games being played in England. Perhaps the fact that the Prince of Wales is a devotee is partly responsible for the huge attendances at the twelve tournaments which are held annually in England. And women have accepted the sport with an enthusiasm which women rarely evidence in person al athletics.

In the United States the game is in a peculiar situation; its interest is pretty largely restricted to the eastern states--at least as far as collegiate participation. As yet the great middle western universities have shown small regard for the game--in some it is almost wholly unknown. The probabilities are, however, that the movement will spread just as football has spread. The benefits of the game as a means of keeping in form for summer tennis are open to discussion but the more essential requirement of partaking in some winter exercise which will not grow too monotonous, assures the future of squash. On account of fulfilling this dual purpose it is an almost ideal exercise for young scholastics--and especially, so when gymnasium facilities are not the best, as is the case at Harvard.