BRITISH PHILOSOPHER GIVES ADDRESS TODAY

OXFORD FELLOW STUDIED MANY YEARS IN AMERICA

Dr. F. C. Schiller of Oxford University leader of the British school of Pragmatists, will deliver an address this afternoon at 4 o'clock in Emerson J. His topic is, "William James and the Making of Pragmatism." Dr. Schiller and Professor James were close friends for many years. The lecture will be given under the auspices of the Harvard Philosophical Club. J. W. Miller 3G, President of the club, announces that the meeting is open to the public.

Studied in America

Pragmatism has been generally considered as chiefly an American contribution to practical philosophy. Dr. Schiller himself studied for some years at Cornell University. He was also an instructor there from 1893 to 1897. Returning afterward to Oxford, he became tutor and fellow of Corpus Christi College.

He has published the following works, including "Riddles of the Sphinx", "Plato or Protagoras?", "Humanism", and "Tantalus, or the Future of Man", He is a member of the Royal Society.

C. S. Peirce, an American thinker, first formulated pragmatism as the "doctrine that the meaning of any conception lies only in its practical consequences". This view was adopted and widely expanded by William James in 1878 in his book, "The Will to Believe", and in "Philosophical Conceptions and Practical Results."

Although Dr. Schiller has declared that most of the philosophical notables are still in the "opposing camp", that of intellectualism, pragmatism has enlisted many distinguished adherents, notably Professor Bergson in France and Giovanni Papini in Italy.