FINDS COMPETENCE IN PIERIAN PRODUCTIONS

BOSTON APPRECIATES HER WORK SAYS CONCERT LEADER

"The Pierian Sodality Orchestra seems to have the talent necessary to produce a successful concert," declared Miss Ethel Leginska to a CRIMSON representative yesterday. Miss Leginska first won the plaudits of the musical world as an accomplished concert planist, and has since acquired world-wide fame as the first woman to conduct a large concert orchestra. At present she is training the Pierian Orchestra for its Brattle Hall concert on December 17, at which the principal numbers will be "La Deluge", by C. Saint Saers, and Berioz's "Hungarian March."

"From present indications" continued Miss Leginska, "our next concert should be well attended. For not only have Boston people been particularly appreciative of my work, but judging from the reception of my speeches before various clubs, forums, and fraternities in this section, they are much interested in the art of concert music itself.

Philharmonic Has Artistic Success

"The artistic success of the Boston, Philharmonic Orchestra has been most satisfactory, although financial difficulties have caused us some vexation. But the past five concerts have been given in Mechanics Hall, which is too large for the best production of music. Our next concert will be held in the Boston Opera House, on January 25."

Miss Leginska went on to describe the program of this concert. Among the stars on the program will be: Salyedo, the French harpist who will render a few of his own compositions. Salyedo is one of the greatest harp players of the present day, and is famed both in Europe and America. Raphael Diaz, the New York metropolitan tenor, will sing the "Astrologer's Song," from the "Coq d Or," of Rimsky-Korsakoff, and also a selection of Spanish songs. Finally, the Philharmonic will play Schubert's "Unfinished Symphony," Wagner's "Rienze Overture," and Wolf-Ferrais' "Overture to the Secret of Suzanne." Such a program, with possible additions, promises a most entertaining evening," said Miss Leginska.

Miss Leginska then commenting on a certain peculiarity which was noticeable at the last Pierian rehearsal said, "Everyonce in a while during the rehearsal. I heard the cutest little grunt from one of the string sections. I am going to try to compose a piece which will give them a chance to display their pretty little grunt. I think that by the end of the next practice, the orchestra will be in a fair way to give a truly successful concert."