ENGLISH SCHOLAR WILL SPEAK HERE NEXT YEAR

RECOGNIZED AS AUTHORITY ON CLASSICAL SUBJECTS

Dr. Robert S. Conway, Hulme Professor of Latin at Victoria University in Manchester, England, will come to the University during the second half of 1926-27 as Visiting Lecturer on Greek and Latin, it was announced yesterday by the College authorities. Professor Conway is a distinguished classicist whose works have been widely circulated through this country.

After taking his degrees at Caius College, Cambridge, Dr. Conway became a fellow of that College. Later he was appointed as classical lecturer at Newnham College, and from 1893 to 1903 was professor of Latin at University College Cardiff. He has received honorary degrees from the universities of Dublin and Padua, and in 1918 was made a Fellow of the British Academy. Professor Conway is at present Governor of the British Institute of Florence, and an external Examiner in Latin to the University of Durham.

Wrote For Encyclopedia

Dr. Conway is perhaps best known for his writings in his general field. Besides his many books, he was a contributor to the Encyclopedia Britannica on the languages and on the ethnography of ancient Italy.

"The Restored Pronunciation of Greek and Latin," appearing in 1896, was the work which won him his first recognition. For the next few years he was busy with translations and commentaries principally on Livy Dr. Conway was one of the first scholars to appreciate the fraud upon the announcement last year that several missing books of Livy had been discovered in northern Italy.

More recently, Dr. Conway has contributed widely to magazines. In 1921, he published "New Studies of a Great Inheritance", a series of essays on the classical tradition, and in 1923, his "The Making of Latin" appeared.