ONE POINT ENOUGH TO WIN FOR AGGIES

Crimson Attack Fails to Net Baskets Against Connecticut Five--Malick Stars for University

The University basketball team struck its second straight snag of the season when it met defeat at the hands of Connecticut Agricultural School by the close margin of 25 to 24 in the fifth game of the season at the Hemenway Gymnasium Saturday night.

The Nutmeggers started off with an aggressive attack which carried them four points into the lead, but the Crimson crept ahead, only to lose its lead when the Aggies tied the score at 8 to 8 and again at 11 to 11, the half ending with the University leading 13 to 12.

Crimson Gets Three Straight Goals

It was clear that the second half was to be an exciting session. The Connecticut men took the lead on a goal from the floor by Bitgood, but the count was knotted again at 16 all. Eddy then scored and the Aggies drew ahead 20 to 16. The University staged a comeback and got three baskets in a row. With ten minutes to play, and a lead of two points, the home team attempted a waiting game by retiring to its own part of the floor, and drawing out the enemy defense. Smith scored on two fouls, and then Coombs counted, but was fouled. The referee made the decision that he had been running with the ball, and gave the ball to the opposition.

This was the turning point of the game. Instead of a safe lead of six points, the Crimson shooters soon found themselves with no advantage in points. With 20 seconds to go, Schofield tossed the leather through the strings from the foul line, winning the game for his team.

The University forwards, with the exception of Smith and Rauh, were ineffective, and even these two failed to put over their customary number of tallies, Leekley and Jones failed to score. Failure to turn effective passes into goals has been one of the greatest difficulties of the Crimson five this year, and this factor accounts largely for the defeat on Saturday night. The foul shooting was also weak. The bright spot in the University play was the work of Malick, who scored five baskets from the floor from his post on the defense.

HARVARD  CONN. AGGIESSmith, Dorn, r.f.  l.g., AllardJones, Leekley, l.f.  r.g., Bitgood, DaleyRauh, McCurdy, c.  c., MakofskiMalick, r.g.  l.f., SchofieldCoombs, Barbee, l.g.  r.f., Edd