1929 SIX CONTINUES ON PATH OF VICTORY

SECONDS DEFEAT COUNTRY DAY SCHOOL AT BRAEBURN

The powerful Freshman sextet, stopped for the first time last Monday in a 1 to 1 tie with Melrose High, continued on its path of victory yesterday afternoon with a decisive 3 to 0 win over the dangerous Newton High team on the Arena ice. For nearly one full period the speedy schoolboy six held the Crimson first-year men on even terms. The 1929 squad were superior to the Newton stickmen in combination play, and the Crimson forwards held a decided edge in dribbling the disc through the outer defense. In speed and stick work the visitors were on a par with the winners.

While the Freshmen were downing the Newton team at the Arena, the University seconds took the measure of the Country Day puck men by a 3 to 1 count at the Braeburn rink. The losers put up a hard struggle but were outclassed by the rugged Crimson seconds. Higgens, at the left defense post for the winners, was high scorer with two tallies. The third counter was made by Bailey, speedy center ice man.

Holbrook Narrowly Misses Score

Carlton, the blond 1929 flash, put the first-year skaters in the lead against Newton, when he found the net before the end of the first session after taking a pass from Whiting. The disc failed to clear the ice but slipped through the guard of Thompson, Newton cage guardian. Holbrook, the brilliant leader of the schoolboys, who was forced out of the game for a few minutes in the initial period with a cut on the hand, contributed several long dashes and narrowly missed two hard drives at the Crimson cage.

Captain Tudor at left wing for the Freshmen scored the second goal unassisted late in the second session. The 1929 captain wove his way through the Newton defense and outwitted the goal guard with a short, high shot. Putnam, who played a flashy game at center for the winners, was responsible for the final tally. He scored unassisted from a scrimmage in front of the Newton cage.

The summary:

Score--Harvard 1929 3, Newton High 0. Goals--Carlton, Putnam, Tudor. Referee--Mooney. Time--three 15-minute periods. HARVARD 1929  NEWTON HIGH Tudor (Capt.), Carlton l.w.  r.w. Stubbs, Whitmore Putnam, Winston c.  c. Holbrook (Capt.) Crosby, Cunningham r.w.  l.w. Spain, Powers Stanley, Whiting l.d.  r.d. Prator Bigelow, Covell r.d.  l.d. Andres Jackson g.  g. Thompson