STITCHING IN TIME

In an effort to bolster an apparently languishing enterprise by timely criticism and amendment a Student Council committee has investigated the status of the new student waiter system in Gore Hall. Frankly acknowledging that the outcome of last fall's innovation has been unsatisfactory thus far, the Committee offers pertinent suggestions to forestall complete failure. If its recommendations are accepted and they prove salutary, as there seems every reason to expect, the Committee will have performed a service of the first importance.

On the part of both the authorities in charge and the undergraduate waiters, themselves the present attitude is not conducive to success, according to the report. The management has not shown itself sympathetic with the plan; the students themselves have proved inferior to professional waiters.

These difficulties, as the Committee points out, are by no means inherent in the system. The importance of providing at Harvard every means possible for students to support themselves, is such that unsparing effort must be made to remedy faults which can be remedied and to evolve a workable plan of student employment. It is to be hoped that the opposition of the authorities, at which the Committee hinta, is more fancted than real. Certainly the management appears to have no reasonable grounds for such an attitude.

The conditions under which the undergraduate waiters have been working have obviously been burdensome and irritating. Equally plainly their service has been unsatisfactory. The connection between these two facts cannot be blinked. The plan of student waiters will not justly be open to condemnation until a sincere effort has been made to establish fair and attractive conditions of employment. The recommendations of the Student Council committee seem admirably calculated to accomplish this purpose.