"MISS AMERICA" IS GLAD SHE AVOIDED COLLEGE

MEETING PEOPLE AND SEEING THE WORLD BEST EDUCATION

"To go out and meet people in this world of ours is even more enlightening than a college education," is the opinion of Miss Fay Lanphier, who won the title of Miss America in the Atlantic City beauty show last year.

"I have never been to college," she said, "but I do not regret it. In the past year I have learned more than can possibly be gleaned from an education at college. Of course, people are getting a little partial to the young people on the stage and in silent drama these days, and we all have a wonderful time. People on the stage have a chance to meet the celebrities in other lines. They travel and see the world, and after all, what more is an education?"

Miss Lanphier paused to pose for her picture as a CRIMSON photographer added to the already thick could of smoke from the flashes which shrouded her dressing room. Then she turned to the CRIMSON reporter, who had tried unsuccessfully in New York at a previous time to get an interview with the star of "The American Venus." "I was sorry," she declared, "but we have to be careful in the metropolis. It's different here in Boston."

She now turned to a discussion of the stage and the screen. "I though," she continued, "that the stage and movie life would be wild and exciting, but when I went to my first picture I found that they were all just as business-like as in the office where I had spent my time. But these people are so different They are so much more human, and so much less cold blooded. One cannot realize how surprised I was when I got to know the exponents of the imitating profession." Miss Lanphier, however, is not required to do much imitating.

Miss Lanphier has been appearing in connection with the "American Venus," in which she is started with Esther Ralston. The picture appeared at the Metropolitan Theatre two weeks ago, and has moved on, so she is now there on the same program with "The Grand Duchess and the Waiter starring Adolphe Menjou. She expressed a wish that she could visit the University, but time would not permit.