BATTERY MEN OPEN DIAMOND CAMPAIGN

New Pitching Corps Must Be Created-Catching Department Should Hold Pilfering Down

Coach Mitchell last night issued his first call for all University battery candidates to report at 2 o'clock this afternoon in the cage. At the same time the Crimson baseball mentor announced that the first practice for all candidates will be held next Monday afternoon. Tomorrow at 1.05 o'clock the competition for second assistant baseball manager will start with a meeting for all candidates at the H. A. A. The competition will last for six or eight weeks. The Freshman battery candidates who have been working out for ten days will report at 3 o'clock in the cage today.

With the recent reorganization of the New England professional baseball league, Fred Lake, assistant coach of the diamond sport last year, who was to have tutored the second nine this spring, was engaged to manage one of the clubs and consequently will not be able to continue his coaching duties at the University.

Puffer is Sole Veteran Flinger

With only one veteran back from last year's pitching staff, Coach Mitchell will be faced with the task of building a new hurling corps. R. W. Puffer '26, a right handed twirler, is the letterman who is expected out today. J. N. Barbee '28, mound ace of the Freshman squad, who pitched a no-hit game against Williston last spring is regarded as one of the most promising candidates for a place on the University pitching mound this year. The Sophomore right hander is one of the mainstays of Coach Wachter's quintet, however, and will not be able to report until the end of the basketball season.

R. H. Booth '27, Freshman ace of two years ago, and F. B. Cutts '28, relief twirler last year, are two other hurlers of experience with right hand deliveries who are expected to report today. The only port side pitcher of known worth expected out is Solomon Andrews '27, who showed flashes of brilliance for the 1925 nine.

Good Catcher Available

The University mentor will be greeted with a wealth of material in the catching department. H. L. deRahm '27, hard left handed hitter, who did the bulk of the receiving in the closing games last year, and J. J. Maher '26, member of the University squad for two years and leader of his Freshman team, are given an edge over their competitors. From the 1928 nine. Henry Chauncey '28, another left handed hitter will be available. I. R. Duchin '27, who was unable to compete last year is an excellent receiver and a dangerous hitter, and is expected to give the veterans a hard fight for the possession of the Crimson mark and pads.