FRIENDSHIP DRIVE AT HALFWAY MARK

Joins President Little of Michigan in Whole Hearted Endorsement of Its Purposes and Necessity

One half of the $3000 goal set for the University in the Student Friendship drive has been turned in by the collectors, and unless the full quota is reached by tomorrow night, the drive will be extended to the middle of next week, it was announced last night by H. S. Woodbridge '27, chairman of the drive committee.

The following statements are a few of those received recently by the committee, from prominent men in support of the Student Friendship organization. The Honorable Herbert C. Hoover, Secretary of Commerce, writes:

"The Revolution in Russia left professors, scientific men and students destitute. While conditions for some of the physicians and other scientific men are gradually improving, thousands of students are still chronically undernourished and the plight of the professors remains desperate. Half of them have dropped out of sight since 1917. Surely it is to the interest of civilization that those who are left should survive. Many of them can do so if outside help is forthcoming."

President Clarence C. Little '10, of the University of Michigan made the following statement to the University committee recently in regard to the movement:

"The Student Friendship Fund Drive is an agent of great potential power and benefit for youth. It is based on a breadth of vision which near sighted critics may fail utterly to comprehend The conversion of such critics is but a side issue of the main object which is a direct appeal of youth in one land to that in others. Thoughtful Americans whose minds have ventured out of the provincial stage will support the Drive."