BOHEMIANS OFFER PRIZE FOR MUSIC IN THE UNIVERSITY

Department of Music Will Announce Conditions of Award

Announcement was made yesterday by the Department of Music that a prize had been offered in the University, the conditions and nature of which are to be announced later.

The prize comes as a result of a gift to the Harvard Club of New York by the Bohemians, a group of professional musicians in that city. A number of University graduates are members of the organization, which has been in the habit of holding its monthly dinners at the New York Harvard Club. As an appreciation the Bohemians decided to give a concert at the Club, and at the concert it was made known that $1000 was to be given to the Department of Music in the University for the establishment of a music prize.

The prize was given with a view to the fact that the University was the first institution of learning to establish a professorship in the field of music. The first prize will be given a year from this spring as it is to be maintained by interest on the sum donated, and some time must be allowed for the interest to accumulate. In the meantime, the Music Department will draw up the regulations for the competition, and the amount to be given.