HARVARD SNOWBOUND BY YESTERDAY'S BLIZZARD

TAXI MEN DEMAND SCALPER'S PRICES FOR DRIVE

While Cambridge and the rest of New England was in the throes of the most severe snow storm of the year the University Yard with examination goers breasting the savage blasts in desperate haste yesterday morning, resembled a portion of the Yukon Trail in the days of the gold rush.

In Boston and other cities the traffic congestion and subsequent early closing of stores and offices created confusion but the wheels of administration ground smoothly on at the University. The employees in the University offices were allowed to leave early in order to arrive home by dinner time but there were no other irregularities in the day's schedule. The Maintenance Department reported no more than the usual number of complaints and none which came as the direct result of the storm. Work on the Memorial Hall clock which has been behaving in an eccentric fashion for the last three days, was discontinued due to the intense cold in the tower.

Cambridge Isolated

The snow plows which appeared late in the morning on Massachusetts Avenue did excellent work but proved the downfall of many motorists who left their automobiles parked at the curb and returned to find them snow bound after the plows had raised mounds three feet high between the curb and the tracks. Later in the afternoon the surface car transportation practically ceased and Cambridge was isolated but for the Subway. Taxicabs were at a premium and one driver from the wheel of his much sought after conveyance was heard to remark to a group of petitioning fares on the curbstone, "Say, you couldn't get this cab for five dollars."