Professor Gilbert Murray Comes From Oxford to Take New Chair of Poetry

Charles Eliot Norton Chair Founded by C. C. Stillman to Honor Teacher

The first incumbent of the Charles Eliot Norton Chair of Poetry, established last spring by Mr. C. Chauncey Stillman '98, will be Professor Gilbert Murray of Oxford University, one of the world's foremost classical scholars, famous for his translations of Greek poetry into English rhyming verse. The noted English man of letters will come to the University next fall and will be in residence in Cambridge until Christmas.

Active in Efforts for World Peace

Professor Murray after taking several degrees at Oxford University, became professor of classical languages at the University of Glasgow, Scotland. In 1908 he returned to Oxford as Professor of Greek, and has remained there since. In 1923 he was appointed as Chairman of the Executive Committee of the League of Nations and during the past three years has been active in efforts for world peace.

Some of Professor Murray's works are his translations of the plays of Euripides from the Greek into English poetical form. Beginning with the "Bac- chac" and "Electra", he completed nearly all of the existing plays by the Greek dramatist, and the verse translations were acted at the Court Theatre in London from 1902 to 1907. Other important books by the English classicist are his translations of Aeschylus and Aristophanes, "Hamlet and Orestes" in 1914, and "Euripides and his Age."

President Lowell Lauds Idea

The Charles Eliot Norton Chair of Poetry was established by Mr. Stillman, a former student under Professor Charles Eliot Norton '46, specifying that the term "Poetry" should include not only Verse but all poetic expression in language, music and the fine arts, such as painting, sculpture, and architecture. President Lowell in commenting upon the newly established chair on its establishment last year said: "It helps the struggle of years to place college emphasis on intellectual culture."

The Chair is unique in its purpose and specifications. The incumbents are chosen without limits of nationality from men of high distinction and preferably of international repute. The committee, which was unanimous in recommending to the President and the Corporation that Professor Murray be asked to be the first holder of the honor, consisted of Professor John L. Lowes, Professor Charles H. Grandgent '83, Professor Edward K. Rand '94, Professor Chandler R. Post '04, and Mr. C Chauncey Stillman, who conceived the idea and endowed the Chair.

One of the provisions made by Mr. Stillman is that the incumbent deliver six lectures beside his regular work within the University. These lectures are to be delivered for the first time while at the University and provisions have been made for their subsequent publishing