Salvaging Lampie

THE MAIL--

The Harvard Crimson assumes no responsibility for the sentiments expressed by correspondents, and reserves the right to exclude any communication whose publication may for any reason seem undesirable. Except by special arrangement, communications cannot be published anonymously.

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

Returning from business at five-thirty yesterday afternoon, my road leading me by the Lampoon Building. I was surprised to notice a for sale sign hung before Lampy's famous turret. You can understand my surprise when I tell you that as a former editor of the Lampoon no hint or rumor had reached my ears of the impending financial disaster which has overtaken this ancient comic paper.

Upon reaching my home in Water town I immediately got in touch with Mr. Whedon, President of the paper until its dissolution, and members of the Graduate Advisory Committee. I was deeply chagrined at their confirming the fact that the Lampoon building was for sale, and that the famous organization had issued its last publication.

Would that I were a millionaire and could put the Lampoon back on its feet. The fact is I am not, nor 'is any other former editor of the Lampoon. Alas for the irony of fate!

Can Harvard exist without the Lampoon? Can any faithful Harvard graduate, or even undergraduate, remain inactive while the "oldest comic" is sold? I sincerely hope not. As a former editor of the Lampoon I appeal to all true Harvard men. A fund must be raised immediately. Already I have written to the president of the Advocate. Its cooperation and that of the CRIMSON can save the Lampoon. Both publications are financially sound and I hope will consider a plan by which the Lampoon will be subsidized and enabled to publish its St. Patrick's number. But the CRIMSON and Advocate cannot be expected to subsidize Lampy for long. A fund must be raised immediately will not the undergraduates take up the matter at once? Ward P. Hamilton '81