THE LEAGUE IN LABOUR

The abrupt termination of the conference of the League disappoints those who hoped that the Locarno pact had meant the final establishment of Europe on a peace-time basis. From certain quarters ominous croakings are heard to the effect that the Genevan flasco has revealed the hollowness of the new spirit and sounded the death knell of the League. Yet in the harmony prevailing among the Locarno signatories, there is cause for the belief that the progress of international understanding has incurred only a temporary check. The longing of the war-torn European nations for a new world order is still strong.

The unsatisfactory result of the meeting, however, indicates that the present machinery of the League is defective For the fact that is was Brazil, and not a European nation, that blocked the admission of Germany to the council is significant. Under the present covenant unanimity of the conciliar powers is necessary in the granting of permanent seats. Because of this, Brazil though not concerned in the Locarno treaties, was able to sacrifice their fulfillment to her own ambitions. The countries which had promised to restore Germany to her place among the great powers, found themselves unable to do so in face of outside opposition.

Brazil will naturally be blamed for this chauvinistic attitude, but as long as the League continues to be a world congress rather than a European one such conflicts of interest are likely to occur. Since the gradations in rank among nations are gradual and often controversial, drawing a line between the great powers and minor becomes extremely difficult. Consequently the practice of awarding permanent seats in the council is a dangerous one. A remedy for this situation has been offered by Vis-count Ishii, President of the Assembly, who suggests that hereafter all conciliar places be elective.

It will be a long time, however, before the Entente will be willing to relinquish the preponderance of power secured at Versailles. But with the expansion of the League its government must become more representative. Meanwhile the postponement of further negotiations to the fall may afford an opportunity for smoothing out present difficulties, and finding a way of admitting Germany on terms which will not be incompatible with the interests of extra-European nations.