The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

President Emeritus Eliot Ninety-Two Years Old Today

Congratulatory Messages Come in Dozens--Story of Offer to High Post Made Known

Dozens of congratulatory telegrams began arriving yesterday at the home of President Emeritus Charles W. Eliot '53, who celebrates today his ninety second birthday.

No unusual festivities will mark the passing of another year in the long life of President Eliot. He will receive members of his family and a few intimate friends during the day, but there will be no change in his ordinary day's program.

Weakened in Health

President Eliot is not in quite as good health as he enjoyed a year ago. A severe attack of shingles, from which he suffered last September, weakened him somewhat, and as a result he has done no public speaking this year.

The facts of President Eliot's eventful career are well-known, but a new and interesting one was made public recently in the publication of the Letters of Colonel E. M. House. One of these letters told of President Wilson's offering to President Eliot the post of ambassador to China in 1912. It was known that President Eliot had declined offers from both Taft and Wilson, who wished to appoint him ambassador to the Court of St. James'; but the story of his rejection of the Chinese post is entirely new.

Two years ago President Eliot's ninetieth birthday celebration brought to Sanders Theatre the most distinguished body of men that ever assembled at Harvard. No such gathering will pay homage to President Eliot today; but the tributes paid to him on March 20, 1924, adequately represent the feeling of the nation towards him today.